Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Twilight

After months of pretending that "Twighlight" didn't even exist, I finally decided to break down and read it. I suppose I thought that anything that caused such a craze among teenagers (teenyboppers as we so affectionately refer to them as) would be a waste of time. However, I must admit that I was a little curious about what all the rage over this book was about. So, alas, I broke down and read it. In less than 24 hours. It is incredibly addicting! I started the novel at 10 pm and finished it by 10 the next morning. It is not as if the writing is all that complex or moving, but the story envelopes the reader and won't let go. In fact, I was so hooked on this book after reading it that I ran to Blockbuster and rented the movie (a huge disappointment after reading the book!)

In any case, I really like Kelly Byme Bull's analysis that part of the pull on readers for this book is in the characterization. Bull writes, "Readers are drawn into this story because the characters are intriguing and develop complex relationships as the story progresses" (113). I think she has a point. There were points in reading the novel that I winced at the cliches that Meyer uses, and yet I couldn't put it down. In fact, Meghan and I discussed this very issue last week. I kept wondering what is going to happen as Meyer took me deeper and deeper into the plot and into the character's thought processes and I was hooked.

I can't imagine using this book in the classroom, although many of the students would certainly love it! Still, I'm sure that we could pull out themes from the novel that coincide with other, more traditional literature. Perhaps using a few pages or chapters would be beneficial. The other way I can see using this text is in a writing class. Meyer clearly excells at characterization, and it would be interesting to study how exactly she pulls us into the story as an example to be used in developing their own stories.

5 comments:

  1. 1) The movie is DEFINITELY disappointing and the acting is more terrible than Meyer's writing. Side-note---isn't Edward supposed to be HOT? Why cast Rob Pattinson???

    2) If you think the first book is addicting, wait until New Moon and Eclipse (especially Eclipse!)

    3) I agree. I was never into the book and I heard so many people freaking out about the movie. I thought it was ridiculous and swore I'd never read the series. However, I had said the same things about Harry Potter and now I love that series. So I gave Twilight a chance, and we all know how I am now. Not a fan of the writing, but a fan of what the book has done for youth and literacy.

    ALSO: I like to reference this series when I am working on my own novels so I can be reminded of what bad writing looks like, so that I don't write like Meyer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK you say the movie was disappointing...In my opinion it was on the same level. They did the exact same scenes. There was two places that were changed and that was it. I don't know how my opinion would have been different if I read the novel first, but I believe the bad acting was on the same level as the writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm wondering if my reaction to the novel is in part due to the fact that I watched the movie before I read the book...something I usually do not do. My boyfriend gave up on the movie about 15 minutes in. He literally walked out of the room lol. I watched it in two sittings. I admit, I had to force myself to finish it as well. Sparkly vampires? Part of me though is curious when the books start to really get moving...does this ever happen? I was waiting to feel "enveloped" the entire time I read the novel. Sadly, it never happened for me. I think I can appreciate our student's frenzy over the books, but...I don't really "get" it. I attempted to teach this book to a small group of alternative Ed students this summer, but students who were interested in the texts (who were swept up in the frenzy) had already read the book, and getting the rest (admittedly a group of extremely disinterested boys) to read the books was worse than teaching them Jane Eyre. To teach or not to teach....
    I'm looking forward to how each of you answer this question.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wouldn't teach this novel in the classroom, but I also wouldn't discourage students from reading it if they find it interesting. We keep saying how it's not well-written, which is true, but isn't ANY reading (even that of smut) better than NO reading at all?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Better yet, this novel could be used as an example of what does in fact draw readers in, since most people who read it do so quickly and continue it all the way through...hmmm...

    ReplyDelete