Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Harry and Draco

“He turned back to Harry. “You’ll soon find out some wizarding families are much better than others, Potter. You don’t want to go making friends with the wrong sort. I can help you there” (108). Harry paused a moment as Draco’s words sunk in. Just this morning he was at home with the Dursleys, partly hiding from them, and now here he was on a train headed for a wizarding school and faced with another just like the family he left behind! “Can’t I ever get away from this?” Harry thought to himself. He grinned slightly, however at the thought that perhaps he would soon learn to deal with such people. Maybe, just maybe, Harry could teach this Draco fellow a lesson. It simply wasn’t right to live as pompously and obnoxiously as this fellow clearly did. Harry caught Draco’s eye and extended his hand. “It’s a pleasure to meet you, and I am sure that your help will be appreciated once we get to schoo,l” Harry said with a smile. Draco looked pleased with himself. Shaking Harry’s hand, and slightly excited by the prospect of having the most famous student to have ever attended Hogwarts as an ally, he missed the quick look that Harry was giving to Ron. Ron smirked in pleasure as he realized that Harry’s pleasantness towards Draco Malfoy was all a ploy. Patting Draco on the shoulder, Harry stood. “Well, it was great talking to you, but I, uh, need to talk to Ron here, and well…” Harry’s voice dropped to a whisper, “you know how it is,” he said nodding his head towards Ron, “I need to let him down easy.” Draco gave Harry a wide, knowing smile. “All right fellows,” Draco said with a slight laugh, “ I’ll see you both at Hogwarts.”
Once Draco had left, Harry turned back to Ron. “Sorry about that,” he said, “I guess I’m just tired of people like that pushing me around!” Harry sat down as Ron leaned back on his seat. “I know that you are planning something, Harry,” Ron said, “What it is, though, I can’t even begin to imagine. The Malfoy’s are famous in our family. Did you know that Draco’s father once stole his professor’s invisibility cloak? The poor man was half blind and thought he had left it in his office. It took him a week to figure out that someone had stolen it, and by then the whole school was in on it. My dad was the one who told the truth, and the Malfoys have never forgiven us for that.” Harry glanced about before leaning in, “I have an idea, perhaps we could…”

I realize that this isn’t the most excited fanfiction out there, it would have been interesting to see Harry and Draco team up, but unless Draco were to be won over to Harry’s side, I think I would have lost respect for Harry. I decided to make Harry plot against Draco because I felt like he sat back too often and let people take advantage of him. Sure, putting the guy in his place like Harry does on the train is good, but I think it would be fun to have Harry a little conniving. As the book goes on Harry is more and more willing to push back, but I thought it would be fun to have him start the war with more of a bang than he does.

No comments:

Post a Comment